Do I need a visa to visit Taiwan?

Example visa for Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Example visa for Taiwan (R.O.C.)

The Republic of China (Taiwan) allows certain passport holders visa-free entry for tourism, visiting friends or relatives, social visits, doing business, attending exhibitions, fact finding, and international exchanges.

In order to be approved for visa-free entry, make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months (3 months for Japanese), can prove you do not intend on staying indefinitely in Taiwan (either by a flight reservation or some type of itinerary), and have no criminal record or other extenuating circumstances in the ROC.

Visa-free entries are allowed at the following ports of entry:
Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (TPE), Taipei Songshan Airport (TSA), Taichung Airport, Chiayi Airport, Tainan Airport, Kaohsiung International Airport, Taitung Airport, Hualien Airport, Kinmen Airport, Magong Airport, Keelung Harbour, Taipei Harbour, Taichung Harbour, Kaohsiung Harbour, Hualien Harbour, Shuitou Harbour (Kinmen) and Fuao Harbour.

The following passport holders are allowed a 90 day visa-free stay:
USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan (日本), South Korea (대한민국), Germany, France, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Chile (diplomatic, official/service passports excluded), Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Vatican City State.

The following passport holders are allowed a 30 day visa-free stay:
Singapore and Malaysia.
Passports from Thailand (ประเทศไทย) and Brunei are visa-free until 31 July, 2017.

Citizens of the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Myanmar, and Laos:
Visitors to Taiwan are permitted a 30 day visa-free stay if holding a residency or valid visa (including electronic) for USA, Canada, Schengen States (Europe), UK, Japan, New Zealand, or Australia. Old visas may also be used, as long as the visa has expired less than 10 years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan. Work permits are not allowed. After completing application documents online, print out the ROC Travel Authorization Certificate and bring to Taiwan with passport. The certificate is valid for 90 days, with 30 days each stay, multiple entry. After 30 days, the user may leave Taiwan and re-enter with the same certificate for another 30 days. To extend the duration of the certificate, apply for another one more than 7 days before the expiration of the current certificate.

Hong Kong and Macau passports are allowed a 30 day entry after application of Exit & Entry Permit (入台證) either at the airport after landing or in advance online (港澳居民網路申請入臺證申請書). Due to the political situation between Taiwan and the PRC, HK and Macau passports will not be stamped and visitors are required to apply for an Exit & Entry Permit. For more info, please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website. The ROC government recommends that HK/Macau/PRC residents that hold a secondary passport use that passport to enter Taiwan.

Mainland Chinese (PRC) passports have a unique set of rules and restrictions for entering the Taiwan Area. Please consult a local travel agent for more exact details.

The following countries are eligible for Working Holiday (Youth Mobility):
Austria, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Ireland, UK, Germany

If you need to apply for a visa, please visit your closest ROC mission abroad. Please be aware that except for the 21 countries that recognise the ROC, the ROC representative office will be titled similarly to Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (such as in the United States). For a complete list, please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website. Visa fees can be found here.

More articles on about Taiwan's history:

This information is accurate as of 2 February, 2017, and sourced from the ROC Bureau of Consular Affairs website: